Experience the wild with MDC with the free Agents of Discovery mobile app
Looking for a new way to explore and experience the Missouri outdoors in the Ozarks and beyond? The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) encourages children and adults to check out the free mobile game app, Agents of Discovery, while exploring the state’s natural areas.
“Using technology to make people more comfortable in nature is a cool way to reach different Missourians,” said MDC exhibits coordinator Susie Wachowski. “Users log into Agents of Discovery and solve challenges using their nature detective skills.”
Experience nature by completing “missions” while learning about Missouri’s forest, fish, and wildlife. Some of the active missions include:
- Discovery Center Backyard Birds: Begin your mission at the bird feeder near the back exit of the building. Identify, learn and explore all the native birds you can find in our garden and yours!
- Eagle Days: Why are there so many bald eagles in Missouri in the winter? Where do they live and what do they eat? Take up the challenges and find out! This mission can be played at home or at an Eagle Days event. Hurry, this mission leaves on February 28!
- Twin Pines Ecosystem Adventure: Who Lives at Mule Camp Pond? What creature makes that noise? Complete the five challenges at the Twin Pines Conservation Education Center and uncover the mystery for yourself.
What type of pollinators are found in the state? How do bald eagles hunt their food? Discover the answers to these questions and more as you navigate Agents of Discovery.
“Complete nature-based challenges at home, by visiting an MDC nature or visitor center, or by attending MDC events, such as Eagle Days or the Missouri State Fair,” Wachowski said. “You can even launch the app and play mini-games to complete a mission.”
Once completed, users can claim rewards and challenges can be posted on social media using an MDC Instagram sticker or win small prizes at a nearby MDC Nature Center. The more missions you play, the more rewards you can earn!
“If you want to show off all your hard work, complete missions and share your achievements with MDC staff to receive prizes. You can earn Agent Oscar stickers, a custom button, or a pin for completing 1, 4, and 10 missions “, she said. “For this however, you need to create a profile on the Agents of Discovery app to show your progress and record completed missions.
Missions are updated frequently, “so there’s always a new way to play and learn about the great outdoors of Missouri,” she added.
To play Agents of Discovery without Wi-Fi or data connection, be sure to download the free app and create an agent profile, choose a mission in your area, and download the mission before you go. Then it’s up to you and your secret agent tools to find and unlock challenges!
Look for other MDC missions on:
- Anita B. Gorman Discovery Center
- Springfield Nature Center
- Shoal Creek Conservation Education Center
While exploring nature, MDC recommends staying aware of your surroundings and always staying on the trail.
Agents of Discovery is available for download through the App Store for Apple products or Google Play for Android devices.